A few have criticized how quickly I responded to the DDTC and began participating in their regulatory process. It is said I should have stood and fought if I believed in keeping the files free, instead of complying. This compliance has been viewed as some kind of ultimate one, as if I don’t intend to do anything else.
"No takedowns, ever." Was a motto I had built into my vision of DEFCAD.com, not DEFCAD.org, and it referred to a strategy for dealing with intellectual property claims and social pressure- this is NOT the strategy DD/DEFCAD.org can adopt with the Department of State. It seems we may have to have our rights declared in court to simply keep developing gun files to put into the public domain. DD’s right to exist is being challenged.
DD has maintained counsel for many months, and it happens that my strategy is not to just have DEFCAD seized and DD sued out of existence. No, as ever, I think DD/DEFCAD can win. The Liberator was a victory. DEFCAD serving near a million files is a victory. Letting the State Department get that global spotlight was a victory.
The Internet was asked to choose between guns and the control of information. Guess what it chose? We created an important moment for understanding a future with 3D Printing, and the Liberator is rightly everywhere.
Now the demonstration is over, and the hard work of having all our rights preserved is just beginning. ITAR might cover 3DP technical data for generations if DD doesn’t intelligently challenge this assertion of authority.
These politicians have looked like absolute monsters in the vacuum.
I will not apologize for knowing how to choose the battle.
- chestionareauto likes this
- allmarketsbecomeblack likes this
- lynler reblogged this from defdist
- lynler likes this
- thelibertarianclarion reblogged this from defdist
- sandars reblogged this from defdist
- sandars likes this
- moth-club likes this
- praxeolog likes this
- forcedranting likes this
- logicalphalus likes this
- themisescircle likes this
- themisescircle reblogged this from defdist and added:
- itscrisp likes this
- lnnocentbystander likes this
- transhominid-systems-gmbh reblogged this from defdist
- transhominid-systems-gmbh likes this
- herocom89 reblogged this from defdist
- fabianpalencia likes this
- seanfromnh likes this
- cerebralzero said: Right on, Keep up the good work Cody.
- cerebralzero likes this
- thinkingwayne reblogged this from defdist
- gmsurvival likes this
- etherealmenace likes this
- thecheekylibertarian likes this
- moderatetosevere likes this
- jimsmithkka likes this
- gallantlittlebelgium likes this
- bforbrendetta likes this
- johnnygraduallycomes likes this
- tskegel likes this
- tankx reblogged this from defdist
- tankx likes this
- herbwalkerkush reblogged this from defdist
- herbwalkerkush likes this
- defdist posted this